APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY THURSDAY, APRIL 13, 2017 AND WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED IF ALL REQUIRED INFORMATION IS INCLUDED.
Human Resources announces an opening for the position of Principal of Barcroft Elementary School, effective July 1, 2017. This is a twelve-month position, Grade P-17, on the administrative and supervisory salary scale with a salary range of $101,655 to $153,106 (2016-2017 Salary Schedule – If needed, salary will be revised to reflect the 2017-18 salary adjustment once it is finalized).
Barcroft Elementary School (pre-K through grade 5) is part of Arlington Public Schools (APS), a system of approximately 25,000 students located directly across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. Students in the system come from 124 countries and speak over 90 languages. The school system is financially strong, with wonderful teachers and staff, and a high level of community support, along with multiple programs to meet individual student needs.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES – BARCROFT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Barcroft is a Title I elementary school, serving approximately 500 students in the surrounding neighborhoods. Students are taught in small class sizes and follow a rigorous curriculum outlined by the county.
Barcroft Elementary School is the only Arlington school that follows a year-round schedule, also known as the modified school year (MSY) calendar. This calendar balances the school year and provides continuous learning opportunities for all. Summer learning losses are reduced due to the shorter summer break. Each quarter is followed by either a two-week Intersession or break during the school year to provide continuous learning cycles.
Barcroft also offers students in kindergarten through fifth grade a variety of programs. There is a proficiency-oriented Spanish language program during which students receive a minimum of 90 minutes of Spanish instruction per week. Students in fourth and fifth grade enjoy practicing as a chorus, as well as having the opportunity to be part of an instrumental music band or orchestra. Students in second through fifth grade are part of a personalized devices program, where they can use iPads for instructional projects, research and homework assignments. All students participate in our extended Science program, either in the Science Lab or part of a Science, Engineering and Architecture project.
Barcroft is a fully accredited school within the State standards of quality. They have overall passing rates in the areas of Reading, Mathematics and Science, as reported through the Standards of Learning (SOL) assessments. See the school website, http://www.apsva.us/barcroft for more information.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK
The principal works collaboratively with staff, families and students to set the tone for the school while enhancing the school’s vision and positively communicating that vision to the entire school community. The principal is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating and directing the instructional program and working with a staff of more than 100 full and part-time employees; including teachers, assistant principal, guidance counselor, librarian, instructional technology coordinator, office personnel, Extended Day staff, custodians and para-professionals.
A unique feature of this job is the opportunity to provide leadership for the only school in Arlington with a Modified School Year Calendar.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK (May not include all duties performed – These are intended as an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Participates in, honors and upholds the democratic decision-making philosophy of the school, including a willingness to focus on individual needs of students and openness to staff, parent ideas and concerns.
- Interacts in a friendly, informal and warm manner with students, staff and parents while emphasizing respect, cooperation and responsibility among the entire school community.
- Encourages students to discover their own talents and challenges while fostering a love for learning.
- Builds community by encouraging cooperation and collaboration among educational programs within the school.
- Promotes an open door policy and understands the importance of high visibility in the school.
- Promotes sensitivity to cultural and socioeconomic differences while recognizing the value and richness of the diverse school environment.
- Takes a proactive approach to implementing a concrete school-wide discipline plan that focuses on a creative approach to students’ concerns.
- Helps facilitate communication among staff, students, parents, the school system and the neighborhood community.
- Selects effective teaching staff.
- Keeps informed on current educational practices, teaching methods and techniques, specifically those related to utilization of the whole child approach to learning, co-teaching, student-centered coaching, inclusion, team teaching and hands-on methods of delivering instruction.
- Implements policies and procedures and develops the annual plan for school improvement.
- Authorizes the use of school facilities for civic activities related to the school program and other rentals.
- Coordinates with the PTA, confers with parents, directs student activities related to the school program, and addresses community groups on school problems.
- Approves the expenditure of school funds.
- Performs related work and other duties as required.